15 Best Places to Visit in February USA Edition 2022
Looking for the best places to visit in February in the USA? These are the places you want to travel to this month, whether you’re looking for winter adventures, special events, or escaping the cold.
Winter adventures are in full swing, and it’s time to start tackling your winter travel bucket list.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on sales of the products that are linked at no additional cost to you. All opinions are always our own. Read our full disclosure for more info. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Local Adventurer possible.
Last Updated: January 14, 2022
- Best Places to Visit in February in USA
- Map of the Best Places to Visit in February in USA
- Warmest Destinations in the US
- More February Travel Destinations
- Major Festivals in February
- What to Pack
- Frequently Asked Questions
February is a great time to travel if you have a flexible schedule. In most cases, you get to avoid the crowds from winter break and get better hotel deals.
15 Best Places to Visit in February in USA
|| Winter Activities ||
1. Stowe, Vermont
Weather Avg: 19° / 4° F
Stowe is a world-class mountain resort great for year-round outdoor activities. The snow is the highlight in the winter, and February has the best skiing conditions.
2. Midway, Utah Ice Castles
Weather Avg: 41° / 16° F
Midway Utah is a winter wonderland with plenty of snow adventures like snowshoeing, sleigh rides, snowmobiling, skiing, and more. But one activity you can’t miss this month is exploring the Ice Castles. It’s been on our bucket list for a while, and we hope to check it out soon
3. Big Sky, Montana
Weather Avg: 36° / 9° F
Big Sky is called The Biggest Skiing in America with 5800 acres of skiable landscapes and 4350 feet of vertical drop. It’s also a great winter launching point to discover Yellowstone National Park.
Pro Tip: If you plan on visiting Yellowstone, be sure to check for closures or go on a guided visit.
4. Breckenridge, Colorado
Weather Avg: 31° / 19° F
Breckenridge in February is snowy and sunny. Bundle up for some fun outdoor adventures. If you visit in early February, you’ll catch the end of the International Snow Sculpture Championships.
Local Tip: You don’t need a car. There are shuttles from Denver International Airport to breezily get to Breckenridge, and there is a free bus system throughout the town. Most hotels also offer free shuttles to and from town.
5. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Michigan
Weather Avg: 26° / 11° F
Winter at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is extra magical. You’ll find beautiful ice formations and ice curtains, and you can even ice climb. Snow typically starts mid-November and lasts until late April, so February gets you right in the middle of the action.
|| Warm Destinations ||
Weather Avg: 74° / 46° F
Death Valley is one of our favorite national parks because the landscape varies so much. You can climb over dunes, walk on the lowest point in North America, or hike along colorful hills.
It’s scorching during the summer, but you can comfortably spend all day outside in the winter. Just be sure to bring layers since the temperatures drop significantly when the sun goes down.
Local Tip: If you plan on visiting multiple National Parks in one year, pick up an annual pass to save money.
Weather Avg: 66° / 33° F
We love the mild winters in Las Vegas. The weather is perfect for hiking and climbing (send temps!), and you always have the Strip but with fewer crowds. If you’re looking to celebrate Valentine’s in Vegas, you’ll have plenty of options for nice dinners and romantic activities.
Local Tip: The sun sets early (around 4:30), so plan your days accordingly. Also, bring layers. Visitors don’t realize Vegas is not hot year-round.
Weather Avg: 66° / 51° F
After living in a different city each year, San Diego is still our favorite city to call a home base in the US. During February, you get great weather to hike and walk around town. Plus, it’s Museum Month with 50% off more than 45 different museums.
Local Tip: Pack layers since it gets chillier at night and closer to the ocean.
9. Miami, Florida
Weather Avg: 75° / 64° F
Water temps aren’t ideal for swimming in February, but you can still soak in the sun on the beaches, check out clubs, or explore other city attractions without crowds outside of big events. February also brings the South Beach Wine & Food Festival and Super Bowl Sunday this year.
Weather Avg: 72° / 40° F
Paradise Valley is a small town in the heart of Scottsdale-Phoenix, making it a great home base to explore the outdoors. There is plenty to do for people who love arts and culture, sports, outdoor adventures, golfing, shopping, and more.
|| Special Events ||
Weather Avg: 66° / 47° F
Grab your Mardis Gras beads because this is the month to visit New Orleans. I have it on our bucket list, but we still haven’t been because I’m intimidated by the crowds. Someday, though, since we hear it’s an experience like no other.
12. Mobile, Alabama
Weather Avg: 64° / 46° F
Did you know that Mobile is the original home of Mardis Gras? It still holds the second-largest Mardis Gras celebration in the US. Besides the parties, you can also check out museums and explore the outdoors.
13. Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
Weather Avg: 37° / 18° F
In February, head to Punxsutawney to celebrate Groundhog Day (Feb 2, 2022) and see all things groundhog in town. If you miss Groundhog day, you can also explore the millions of acres of unspoiled forests and mountains. Plus, you may get to see elk. They have the largest free-roaming elk herd in the eastern United States.
Weather Avg: 50° / 37° F
February is Museum Month in Seattle. You get half-price admission to participating museums. Our favorites were the Chihuly, Center for Wooden Boats, and Living Computers.
15. Anchorage, Alaska
Weather Avg: 27° / 14° F
If you’re looking for winter adventures, Anchorage is one of the best places to visit in February in the US. You’ll find deep powder, crystal-clear ice, and you may even catch a glimpse of the northern lights (not as easy as you may think).
The skies are clear in the winter, giving you the best chance to see the Northern lights, and it’s perfect for flightseeing around the Chugach Mountains.
Map of the Best Places to Visit in February USA
Warmest Destinations in February in the US
The warmest states in the winter are Hawaii, Florida, California, Arizona, Texas, Georgia, and Louisiana.
The warmest cities based on average highs are:
- 84°F – Everglades National Park, Florida
- 82°F – Lahaina, Maui
- 81°F – Kailua Kona, Hawaii Big Island || Kahului, Mau
- 80°F – Honolulu, Oahu
- 79°F – Hilo, Hawaii Big Island
- 78°F – Miami, Florida
- 76°F – Key West, Florida
- 74°F – Palm Springs, California || Yuma, Arizona || Big Bend National Park, Texas
- 73°F – Orlando, Florida || Death Valley National Park, California
- 72°F – Anza Borrego, California || Phoenix, Arizona
More Travel Destinations in February
- AK: Denali National Park (Denali Winterfest Celebration)
- AR: Hot Springs National Park (water levels just right and fewer crowds)
- AZ: Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest (wildflowers from Mar to Oct), Phoenix, Tucson
- CA: Alabama Hills, Big Sur, Joshua Tree, LA / Santa Monica, Lake Tahoe (Tahoe City SnowFest), Mendocino, Palm Springs, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Yosemite
- CO: Aspen, Mesa Verde National Park (cliff dwellings tours are closed), Telluride, Vail
- FL: Everglades National Park, Fort Meyers, Naples, Orlando, Sarasota, St Augustine, Florida Keys, Biscayne National Park, Key West
- GA: Atlanta, Providence Canyon, Jekyll Island, Savannah
- HI: Big Island, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Oahu, Kailua, Kauai, Maui
- ID: McCall Winter Carnival
- ME: Acadia National Park
- MN: Minneapolis (Great Northern Festival), St Paul (St Paul Winter Carnival)
- MT: Whitefish Winter Carnival
- NH: North Conway, Dartmouth Winter Carnival
- NM: Santa Fe, White Sands
- NY: Saranac Lake (Winter Carnival)
- NC: Beaufort, Cashiers, Great Smoky National Park, Hot Springs National Park
- OH: Cincinnati, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
- OR: Crater Lake National Park, Bend’s Oregon WinterFest, Portland Winter Light Festival
- PA: Philadelphia
- RI: Newport (Newport Winter Festival)
- SC: Myrtle Beach, Table Rock State Park
- TX: Austin, Big Bend National Park, Dallas, San Antonio, South Padre Island, Galveston (3rd Largest Mardi Gras Celebration)
- UT: Alta, Arches National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, Park City, Salt Lake City
- VA: Charlottesville
- VT: Magic Mountain Ski Area
- WA: Leavenworth, Mt Rainier National Park, Skagit Valley Bald Eagles
- WI: Milwaukee, Apostles Islands
What to Pack (Our Travel Favorites)
For Cold Weather Destinations:
For Warm Weather Destinations:
What is the warmest place to visit in the US in February?
Miami, Florida, is the warmest city in February, with an average of 78.1°F.
Where is hot and cheap in February?
Where is best for winter sun in February?
Yuma, Arizona, has 87% days of sunshine in February, making it the sunniest place in the US.
Where should I go on a beach in the winter?
If you’re looking for beaches in the winter, visit Hawaii. The weather is always lovely and warm, and the beaches are beautiful.
Where is it warm all year round in the US?
Florida ranks overall as the warmest state year-round.
What US city has the best year round weather?
Where is it 70 degrees all year round?
Santa Barbara, California
What US city has the most 70 degree days?
Which state has the worst weather?
Everyone has different opinions on what’s terrible weather, but for this purpose, we’re going to choose the coldest state, Minnesota.
Which state has no snow?
Florida and Hawaii (except for the mountains).
What’s the snowiest state in the US?
Vermont gets more snow per year than any other state, with an average of 89.25 inches.
What is the coldest state in USA?
Alaska has the coldest temperature ever recorded in the US at -80. Montana is next with -70 in 1954.
What is the most humid city in the US?
Is there anywhere we missed on our list of best places to visit in January in USA?
Did you enjoy this post? Pin it for later
SEE MORE CITY BUCKET LISTS
“Discovery consists not of seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes” – M. Proust
Esther + Jacob
Esther and Jacob are the founders of Local Adventurer, which is one of the top 5 travel blogs in the US. They believe that adventure can be found both near and far and hope to inspire others to explore locally. They explore a new city in depth every year and currently base themselves in Las Vegas.
You might also love
The post 15 Best Places to Visit in February USA Edition 2022 appeared first on Local Adventurer » Travel Adventures in Las Vegas + World Wide.